The recent fire outbreak in an Ang Mo Kio flat from a personal mobility device that was left charging unattended have raised many concerns over the safety of charging e-scooters at home. The Singapore Defence Force (SCDF) also stated that there were a total of 54 cases of reported fires involving mobility devices from January to June this year which is more than double compared to the same period last year. With the rising popularity of e-scooters, all owners should be well equipped with knowledge of keeping and charging an e-scooter before purchasing one. Here is a guide of ‘Dos and Don’ts’ for your own safety precaution.
- Always use a power adaptor with a SAFETY MARK. This logo can be found on the product or on the packaging.
- Buy PMDs with the UL2272 Certification Mark. The UL2272 is a U.S. certification awarded to electrical mobility devices that have met the standards of a comprehensive system of safety tests. The testing parameters include both electrical and mechanical components as well as environmental aspects to assess electrical safety.
- Ensure that you are purchasing from a reputable shop that complies with LTA’s safety requirements.
- Charge the PMD away from any heat source or combustible items such as curtains or bedsheets.
- Store the PMD away from heat sources at room temperature and tape over the charging terminals if you are not planning to use it for a significant amount of time.
- Conduct regular checks on the batteries for any damage or deformities such as bloating, corrosion or powdery residue.
- Avoid charging a PMD after it was just used in wet conditions. Allow the device to dry first to prevent possibility of a short circuit.
- Never leave the PMD charging unattended for an extended period of time or overnight. Overcharging could cause overheating which may result in a fire.
- Never tamper, modify or repair your PMD on your own.
- Avoid charging the PMD immediately after usage as the battery may still be too hot.
- Avoid charging the PMD along an obstructed path or blocking an escape route.
- Never cover the PMD with a fabric while charging as it prevents dissipation of heat
Share it with your friends and family members and help them stay safe too!